I have clients on old ecommerce platforms such as OSCommerce and ZenCart that I would LOVE to move over to WordPress (have you tried to SEO an OSCommerce or ZenCart site? It can be done but it’s like three pains in each ass cheek.)
I have a full developers license for Cart66, which I can use for a couple of personal projects, but it doesn’t support tiered pricing. This is a basic requirement of ecommerce, and it’s positively ridiculous that they don’t support it. Moreover, you can’t find out they don’t support it until after you buy it – the support forums for Cart66 are full of people who have been begging desperately for this feature for over two years – but the forums are only open to people who’ve bought the product. Megafail.
Jigoshop also doesn’t appear to support tiered pricing. I repeat – nowadays this is a requirement for selling online. Every single one of my ecommerce clients offers discounts for quantity (and always has).
I don’t want a hosted solution, such as Shopify or BigCommerce. We need to be able to self host.
Even going off WordPress – Magento is way overkill for what we want to do. I have one client on a mid sized Magento Enterprise install, and I’m only too familiar with what it takes to run well.
I looked at one from Tribulant, but it has compatibility issues with other plugins (for SEO and caching) that I can’t do without.
I tried WP E-Commerce but my clients had a difficult time understanding it (and ultimately they’re the ones who have to deal with it). It *does* have tiered pricing, but what it doesn’t allow for are add-on accessories that add to the price AND add to the shipping weight.
There are a number of free plugins (such as WooCommerce), and some offer some of the functions I need as an extension for extra money, but I can’t test them on my clients products without buying them first, and given my requirements (and the poor experiences I have had trying to shove products into carts that don’t fit), I have no idea if they will work even with the extensions.
And NOTHING seems to offer EVERYTHING I need for any one client. So for now, they’re stuck on OSCommerce and ZenCart (which isn’t very Zen). One of my clients has SEVEN PRODUCTS and four of them won’t fit into any WordPress shopping cart I have so far found.
Someone needs to jump on this. There is still room for a paid ecommerce plugin for for WordPress that offers the same features you can find in the old software.
Look, what I need isn’t that difficult. Ecommerce platforms (that aren’t WordPress plugins) have had these things for years.
- As mentioned, I need tiered pricing. That means discounts for quantity. Preferably set by table.
- I need the ability to offer price = FREE, but still add a shipping and handling charge.
- I need product variations (with pricing AND SHIPPING WEIGHT options)
- I need to be able to add a handling charge in some situations
- I need to be able to offer coupons, promo codes, and free shipping on some products.
- I need to be able to offer multiple shipping options (we have products from 1 to 500lbs) on a per product basis
- I need to be able to easily create category pages
- I need it to be able to work with PayPal (standard and pro) and Authorize.net
- I need it to work with a live shipping feeds from UPS and Fed Ex (and something in Canada – Fed Ex or Purolator)
- I want it to be self-hosted. Not interested in hosting elsewhere.
- It has to be reasonably easy to integrate – shortcodes are good
- It has to play nice with essential WordPress plugins
- An added bonus would let me export orders into QuickBooks
I have people willing to pay for this. Why can’t I find anything that I’m sure will work? Isn’t it time to do ecommerce in WordPress like the grownups do?